While Android offers a built-in WebView, it’s not intended for building browsers, and many advanced Web APIs are disabled. Android’s WebView is also a moving target: it’s impossible know exactly which engine (and what version of that engine) will power a WebView on client devices.
In contrast, GeckoView is:
- Full-Featured: GeckoView is designed to expose the entire power of the Web to applications, including being suitable for building web browsers.
- Self-Contained: Because GeckoView is a standalone library that you bundle with your application, you can be confident that the code you test is the code that will actually run.
- Standards Compliant: Like Firefox, GeckoView offers excellent support for modern Web standards.
Get Started with GeckoView
Get Started as a Contributor
- GeckoView Contributor Quick Start Guide
- Mozilla Central Quick Start Guide
- Mozilla Central Contributor Guide
- Guide to Configuring GeckoView for Automation
- Guide to Native Debugging in Android Studio